February 10, 2009

A Starbucks Drive-Thru Surprise

I had the most delightful surprise yesterday while in the drive-thru at Starbucks. There was a VERY long line of cars and it took me about 15 minutes to get up to the window and receive my coffee. I was willing to wait in the long line because this was my “before night class pick me up” coffee and (this is perhaps more honest) I was already in line and could not back out over the cars behind me! So I was a little annoyed but not too bad about the long wait. One of the benefits of always trying to be early to everything is that I usually have time to spare in these situations. Anyhow, as I reached the window I had my $4.00 ready and was very eager to receive my peppermint mocha when the girl opened the window and informed me that the guy ahead of me had bought my drink for me! How lovely! I was so pleased that I was a bit speechless for a moment. Once I came back to reality I asked if I could buy the persons drink behind me then. She smiled and said “Sure, I love when this happens. That will be $2.10”. While I did end up saving a dollar (I gave the tip jar the rest of the .90cents in an effort to spread the joy) what I really got was a smile and a new outlook on my day. I was so pleased with the little surprise that I almost drove off without my coffee. As I sat there thinking about how much it had just blessed me that someone had bought my coffee I was excited for the person behind me to have that same feeling. I hope she thought the same way I did and kept the chain going. Who knows, perhaps someone bought the coffee of the guy who bought mine. It is just such a wonderful random act of kindness! Sure it is not something big, but it is a great surprise that instantly erased any annoyance I found in line and sent me off to class with a smile on my face! So next time you are in the Starbucks drive-thru and you have a few extra dollars…start a new chain, you never know when you will be on the other end of one!

2 comments:

Brandon and Kendra Kertson said...

wow...loved this story...I am not sure i would have thought the way you did to buy the person behind me coffee...that's why you are so great! Wish I had drive thrus here to spread the love...but that's a whole other blog. So was it a cute guy that bought you coffee or what?

Sarah said...

Haha...I don't know what he looked like but he did drive a big truck! :) Leave it to you to turn my cute story into a boy story! :):)